Act now for Marissa Alexander!
Ms. Alexander was found guilty of aggravated assault for attempting to defend herself against her abusive husband. An African American mother living in Florida, Alexander fired a warning shot to back off her attacker. Though no one was hurt, she was denied a "stand your ground defense" and sentenced to 20 years. She had no prior arrests, was licensed to carry a gun and had a restraining order against her husband. The case is under appeal. Marissa is currently in a Florida State Prison. (You can find additional info, fact sheets, links to newspaper articles and more here.)
Below are five things you can do to make a difference:
1. Write to Marissa. This is an especially lonely time of year in prison. You can send her a holiday card and bring some warmth to this season.
Marissa Alexander DC# J46944
11120 NW Gainesville Rd
Ocala, FL 34482-1479
2. Sign the online petition calling on Florida governor Rick Scott to pardon Marissa
3. Endorse Marissa Alexander's fight for justice! Download an endorsement form here. Supporters include: African-American/Black Women’s Cultural Alliance; Black Women's Blueprint; Corrine Brown, U.S. Representative from Florida; Dream Defenders; Families Against Mandatory Minimums; Florida New Majority; Green Party of Seattle; LEMS Bookstore, Seattle; Martin Luther King III; NAACP - Jacksonville, Florida and national chapters; National Congress of Black Women; Organized Workers for Labor Solidarity (OWLS); Radical Women; Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
4. Donate to the legal defense fund.
5. Tell five friends about Marissa’s case.
Thank you for taking action. If you’d like to get more involved or have ideas for building this support movement, email the Pacific Northwest Alliance to Free Marissa Alexander at FreeMarissaPNW@gmail.com .
National Organizer, Radical Women
- About Us
- Why Socialist Feminism?
- Statements & Campaigns
- Books & Newspapers
- Radical Women
- Get Involved
The Freedom Socialist provides fresh news and analysis written by activists reporting on the struggles and successes of the day. As feminists, race liberationists, and working-class warriors, they are always fighting for truth, justice, and revolution! Check out articles here. Take advantage of these special offers – your support keeps this newspaper publishing. Subscribe today!
Mondays, 7:00-9:00 pm
Study Group on Democracy and Revolution
Tue, 27 September, 6:30 pm
Public meeting: Make Melbourne A Hanson Free Zone
Alt Wednesdays, 5 October to 7 December, 6:30 pm
Reading Circle: The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State
Mondays, October 16 and November 20
Monthly FSP Meetings