Act now for Marissa Alexander!
Ms. Alexander was found guilty of aggravated assault for attempting to defend herself against her abusive husband. An African American mother living in Florida, Alexander fired a warning shot to back off her attacker. Though no one was hurt, she was denied a "stand your ground defense" and sentenced to 20 years. She had no prior arrests, was licensed to carry a gun and had a restraining order against her husband. The case is under appeal. Marissa is currently in a Florida State Prison. (You can find additional info, fact sheets, links to newspaper articles and more here.)
Below are five things you can do to make a difference:
1. Write to Marissa. This is an especially lonely time of year in prison. You can send her a holiday card and bring some warmth to this season.
Marissa Alexander DC# J46944
11120 NW Gainesville Rd
Ocala, FL 34482-1479
2. Sign the online petition calling on Florida governor Rick Scott to pardon Marissa
3. Endorse Marissa Alexander's fight for justice! Download an endorsement form here. Supporters include: African-American/Black Women’s Cultural Alliance; Black Women's Blueprint; Corrine Brown, U.S. Representative from Florida; Dream Defenders; Families Against Mandatory Minimums; Florida New Majority; Green Party of Seattle; LEMS Bookstore, Seattle; Martin Luther King III; NAACP - Jacksonville, Florida and national chapters; National Congress of Black Women; Organized Workers for Labor Solidarity (OWLS); Radical Women; Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
4. Donate to the legal defense fund.
5. Tell five friends about Marissa’s case.
Thank you for taking action. If you’d like to get more involved or have ideas for building this support movement, email the Pacific Northwest Alliance to Free Marissa Alexander at FreeMarissaPNW@gmail.com .
National Organizer, Radical Women
- About Us
- Why Socialist Feminism?
- Statements & Campaigns
- Books & Newspapers
- Radical Women
- Get Involved
Sat, March 25, 9:00am-5:00pm and Sun, March 26, 10:00am-3:00pm
Friday, April 7, 7:00pm
Forging Unity Against Racism, Police Brutality and Deportations
Capital by Karl Marx
Mondays, 7:00-8:30 pm
Fascism and Big Business by Daniel Guerin
Every second Wed, 6:30 pm, from 18 January through 29 March
Study circle – Imperialism: The highest stage of capitalism
Sun, 9 April, 2:00 pm
Walk for Justice for Refugees
Wed, 26 April, 7:00 pm
Reception to welcome visiting U.S. socialist feminist leader, Nancy Reiko Kato, to Melbourne
Sat, 6 May, 4:00 pm
Public meeting: Living and resisting in Trump’s America - A socialist feminist organiser speaks out!
Mondays starting April 3, 7pm
Study Group: Revolutionary Integration