Act now for Marissa Alexander!
Ms. Alexander was found guilty of aggravated assault for attempting to defend herself against her abusive husband. An African American mother living in Florida, Alexander fired a warning shot to back off her attacker. Though no one was hurt, she was denied a "stand your ground defense" and sentenced to 20 years. She had no prior arrests, was licensed to carry a gun and had a restraining order against her husband. The case is under appeal. Marissa is currently in a Florida State Prison. (You can find additional info, fact sheets, links to newspaper articles and more here.)
Below are five things you can do to make a difference:
1. Write to Marissa. This is an especially lonely time of year in prison. You can send her a holiday card and bring some warmth to this season.
Marissa Alexander DC# J46944
11120 NW Gainesville Rd
Ocala, FL 34482-1479
2. Sign the online petition calling on Florida governor Rick Scott to pardon Marissa
3. Endorse Marissa Alexander's fight for justice! Download an endorsement form here. Supporters include: African-American/Black Women’s Cultural Alliance; Black Women's Blueprint; Corrine Brown, U.S. Representative from Florida; Dream Defenders; Families Against Mandatory Minimums; Florida New Majority; Green Party of Seattle; LEMS Bookstore, Seattle; Martin Luther King III; NAACP - Jacksonville, Florida and national chapters; National Congress of Black Women; Organized Workers for Labor Solidarity (OWLS); Radical Women; Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
4. Donate to the legal defense fund.
5. Tell five friends about Marissa’s case.
Thank you for taking action. If you’d like to get more involved or have ideas for building this support movement, email the Pacific Northwest Alliance to Free Marissa Alexander at FreeMarissaPNW@gmail.com .
National Organizer, Radical Women
- About Us
- Why Socialist Feminism?
- Statements & Campaigns
- Books & Newspapers
- Radical Women
- Get Involved
Public forums discussing the election and strategies for what's next:
Sun, December 11, 2:00pm
Special meeting - Report-back from Standing Rock with Gina Petry and Patrick Burns
Sat, December 31, 8:30 pm
New Year's Eve Bash
Mondays, 3:00-4:30 pm
Capital by Karl Marx
Mondays, 7:00-8:30 pm
Fascism and Big Business by Daniel Guerin
Mondays, 6:30-8:00 pm
Democracy and Revolution by George Novack
Alt Wednesdays, 5 October to 7 December, 6:30 pm
Reading Circle: The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the State
New York City
Police Accountability Campaign Meeting
Mon, January 16, 11:00 am
March with FSP to celebrate MLK Jr. Day